Main building of NRC «Kurchatov Institute» - PNPI in Gatchina
PIK neutron research facility
President of the Russian Federation Vladimir V. Putin visits the neutron guide hall of the PIK neutron research facility on 30 April 2013
Staff of NRC «Kurchatov Institute» - PNPI is actively engaged in professional development and retraining programs
Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute named by B.P. Konstantinov of National Research Centre «Kurchatov Institute» (NRC «Kurchatov Institute» - PNPI) is one of seven research centers within the National Research Center «Kurchatov Institute». NRC «Kurchatov Institute» - PNPI is named after the academician Boris Pavlovich Konstantinov (1910–1969) – an outstanding Soviet physicist, Director of the Ioffe Physical-Technical Institute of the USSR Academy of Sciences (1957–1967), vice-president of the Academy of Sciences (1966–1969), who played a significant role in the organization of the Institute.
The Institute employs approximately 2,000 people in permanent positions including 580 researchers, 70 Doctors of Sciences and 260 Candidates of Sciences. Scientific achievements of its researchers have been awarded the Lenin and State prizes, prizes of the Government of the Russian Federation and Academic prizes. At the moment, three employees of NRC «Kurchatov Institute» - PNPI are full members and seven are the corresponding members of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Institute activity profile
Main Research Facilities
The research infrastructure of NRC «Kurchatov Institute» - PNPI is based on the research reactor complex WWR-M, PIK neutron research facility, the research accelerator complex SC-1000 and cyclotron C80.
Experimental facilities of the Institute allow the performance of a broad range of research on fundamental properties of matter, the development and creation of new materials, facilities and systems, including the systems with bioorganic nano-structural components.